Monday, February 5, 2007

OK.. I'm a Dope -- And other musings on being naive.

I had a great day today which included exploring the Leblon neighborhood which is West of Ipanema. Much more residential and less touristy than Ipanema, it was a fun change of pace.

I also went over to the Botanic Gardens -- a short cab ride away. The gardens are adjacent to the Lagoa (or lake) area all of which is very high-end and beautiful. What a peaceful, wonderful afternoon. Quiet in the middle of the city. Complete with a nice lunch in the midst of the oasis.

Unfortunately, I got a bit more sun than I bargained for. "Why didn't you put on the 30 SPF Copertone Sport Sun Screen you lugged all the way from Washington," you say. Well, because it was stolen from me on the beach yesterday... along w/ my messenger bag, my small digital camera, a new watch and a baseball cap. I'm not sure what else was in the bag, but I haven't remembered anything of irreplaceable value – yet.

I was down on the beach late in the day yesterday with some friends and we were all talking up a storm. The sun was setting in one direction, and a Police Helicopter had just hovered over the ocean in another direction -- signifying something was in the water. Everyone was looking toward the water to see if there was something to see. It was just at this point that I reached for my bag to get my small camera and a picture of the sunset... and found the bag was gone.

Now, everyone had warned me to watch my stuff on the beach. Moreover, they asked why I needed to bring a bag to the beach when all you really need is your sunglasses, some sunscreen and a kanga -- or small, sarong-like towel. Well, if you know me, you know I also need the hat, the book, the camera, the watch... you get the picture. I’m very high maintenance. (Traveling with Pants, right?) Apparently the person who took my bag also noted that I need to bring everything with me.

I'm really amazed at how quickly they were able to get it. And, I'm not entirely stupid. I had it resting against my leg. It's beyond me how they could possibly have gotten between me and the next group over to take it.

The good news is everything can be replaced. They didn't get my big camera (which I've been nervous about taking out); they didn't get any money or credit cards; there was no passport. But, they did get my AOL messenger bag with the dancing "Running Man" on the outside. Now, that can't be replaced.

I’m being entirely philosophical about the whole thing. It’s one of life’s teachable moments, right? It’s unfortunate that a beautiful place like Rio is burdened with a level of crime like this.

I’m going to do a post on the crime and my impressions of it at some point. More to come.

Tomorrow, I’m off to Buenos Aires. My friend Joel has been very kind to send a great list of things to do. And, Martin has introduced me to many people online. It should be a great week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That stinks about the bag! Your attitude says that you have left the old stressed Jeff back in DC (along with 17 degree weather)