Friday, January 26, 2007

Traveling in Pants

So, I've renamed the blog.

I'm beginning to realize that I am in a country where the culture dictates you should not rush. This worked to our favor last night as we rushed to catch our plane to Sao Paulo. And, although I probably don't want to admit it, my friend Donna London at AOL will attest to the fact that a culture that caters to the last minute and tardy is probably a good thing for me.

Chris, Anderson and I had been to the gym late in the day on Thursday. Our flight was at 9:30. We were going to leave the apartment at 7:30. I decided I needed to leave the gym at 5:30 if I was going to have enough time to shower, pack and be ready. So, off I went and left them to finish their workout.

By the time Chris and Anderson had returned to the flat, I was showered and changed... and just about packed. Ready to go. Chris looked at me with some surprise and asked why I was dressed up. (Mind you, I merely had a pair of cargo pants and a white golf shirt on. Dressed up? Hmmm..) I replied that I liked to Travel in Pants. Chris immediately suggested that be the name for my blog.

Its very apropos for me, as I do get a little uptight traveling some times. Rob will tell you I can't sit still in the gate area... pacing and repacking my carry on bags over and over. I don't take this casually.

But, I also think that people don't honor Travel today as they used to. I remember when we traveled as a young family and everyone was dressed up. Eastern Airlines. Going to Georgia to Sea Island. Everyone was dressed in coat and tie. Not any longer. Perhaps that's a good thing that it has become so common for everyone to travel. Others would tell you they miss the good old days.

Last night we were traveling more "by the seat of our pants" than "in pants." Our late start, combined with heavy traffic, got us to the airport about 30 minutes before departure. In the States, it would be "game over." In Brazil we had enough time to run from one end of the terminal to the other (couldn't find our airline's counter), check in, go through security and relax at the gate.

Security alone was so very casual. No "remove your shoes." No "remove your computer from the bag." Just take the metal out of your pockets. Surprising in this day and age, but lucky for us last night. We made our flight and made it to Sao Paulo without any other problems.

Although I may Travel in Pants... I'm going to enjoy this country where you can travel by the seat of your pants.

No comments: