Sunday, April 20, 2008

I think I've seen this movie before... it was a classic


On Saturday afternoon, Steph and I set out to explore the city. Ever so timely, this month’s Travel+Leisure magazine had a story on “Europe’s Hidden Neighborhoods.” So, after the market we were off to the Abbesses quarter. This is a neighborhood at the foot of Montmarte and below the Sacré Coeur Basilica – both favorite stops in Paris. But the Abbesses wasn’t new. In fact, I remember discovering the neighborhood three years ago on my last trip to Paris.

I was traveling through Europe with my good friends Ran Borgersen and Jeff Shewey. Paris was our second stop after Amsterdam and before we went down to Provence, Cannes, Monte Carlo and ended with a few days with a larger group in Tuscany. Sadly, it was truly a once in a lifetime trip. Jeff died about a year ago.



Being Jeff’s friend was a wonderful experience. Traveling with him brought that experience to entirely different dimension. He had a sense of adventure and of humor that made life exciting and, usually, well over the top. We took turns planning different parts of our trip and, of course, his parts were always just a bit more fabulous – including wonderful hotels in both Paris and Cannes.

His desire for everything to be perfect, and – yes – his temper that flared from time-to-time, also meant is was often challenging to travel with Jeff. For example, he was in charge of the driving – barreling down the French interstates at well over 100 mph. I remember the one (yes one) morning that I was allowed to drive and I asked him to get out and check behind me as I was backing-into a parking space. (I know there was a concrete barrier behind me somewhere.)

As he grudgingly got out of the car, Jeff pointed out that, “You should know how to back up a car. Back in Enid (Oklahoma where Jeff was raised) my father taught us all how to back up the family van without help."

It was right about then that Ran looked at me and whispered, “Do as he says, and no one gets hurt.”

And, it was true. Not only did we not get hurt, but by doing what Jeff said, and planned, we usually had a lot more fun.

I do remember our weekend in Paris as typical of that mantra. What started as an early day of tourist activities wound into an adventure that included wandering into the Abbesses looking for the Moulon Rouge. Later we shopped our way through the city and discovered a great local family-style restaurant where met many new friends and laughed through most of the night. Leading the way, throughout it all was Jeff with that mischievous grin and sense of adventure.

Ran and I were talking this past week about what we’re going to do to honor that adventure – and where we should all travel to next. While we haven’t picked a destination yet, we know for sure that we’re going to do our best to make sure it’s an adventure in the true spirit of Jeff Shewey.

No comments: